What's going down
Archive Team recruiting
- YouTube: Archiving all older unlisted YouTube videos (360p) and metadata (including webpages, comments, and captions) before YouTube makes them private starting July 23, 2021. Will shift to archiving all YouTube metadata and selected videos afterwards. IRC Channel #down-the-tube (on hackint).
- Webs: Vistaprint is killing off the Freewebs you knew from the 2000s on
March 31 June 30, 2021, unless you pay up. IRC Channel #webbed (on hackint).
- Periscope: Another Twitter acquisition, another shutdown. This time, its live-streamer gets to join Vine in the bin at the end of March. IRC Channel #microscope (on hackint).
- URLTeam: URL shorteners were a fucking awful idea. IRC Channel #urlteam (on hackint).
- Reddit: Banning communities that generate bad PR for Reddit Inc. Currently grabbing new material. IRC Channel #shreddit (on hackint).
- MediaFire: Not 'at-risk' but grabbing speculatively to save historic files IRC Channel #mediaonfire (on hackint).
- Classic Google Sites: Making more sites inaccessible to the public starting September 1, 2021. IRC Channel #nearlylostmygoogles (on hackint).
- GitHub: Embraced-uh, I mean, bought by Microsoft. IRC Channel #gitgud (on hackint).
- URLs: A random collection of stuff. IRC Channel #// (on hackint).
An updated Warrior virtual appliance (v3.2) is now available with better support for newer projects that utilize wget-at. Please download it using the link above.
- 2019-2021 coronavirus outbreak: Documenting and preserving data, events, and impacts of the virus on society. IRC Channel #coronarchive (on hackint)
- ArchiveBot: For those with lots of disk space, bandwidth and long-term commitment. IRC Channel #archivebot (on hackint).
- WikiTeam: Saving wikis dumps (XML). And their external links for the Wayback Machine (WARC) as well as exporting MediaWiki databases. Permanent effort, everyone can help (you choose the size of your downloads). IRC Channel #wikiteam (on hackint).
Upcoming & proposed projects
Recently finished projects
- CodePlex: Microsoft's self-archive will be permanently removed from its Recycle Bin after July 1, 2021. IRC Channel #plexicode (on hackint).
- Google Poly: A 3D art repository that Google will send to the trash compactors on June 30, 2021. New uploads cease April 30. IRC Channel #polygone (on hackint).
- Bintray: JFrog is dismantling the software distribution platform used by numerous projects in May. IRC Channel #binnedtray (on hackint).
Hiatus / Missed the Mark
ArchiveTeam primarily uses the hackint IRC network – ircs://irc.hackint.org:6697 (TLS required) – webchat: https://webirc.hackint.org/ – More info
ArchiveTeam also has some channels left on the EFnet IRC network – irc://irc.efnet.org – webchat: http://chat.efnet.org:9090 – More info
About Archive Team
The Archive Team saves shit that companies abandon.
Feel free to join us on the IRC channel! We're on the EFnet network in a channel called #archiveteam, where we say truly awful things.
- Projects is a list of Archive Team projects.
DIY Data Rescue
- The FAQ is where we answer common questions
- Software is all about the tools you need to save your stuff.
- Formats concerns formats, and how they die.