|Archiving status||In progress...|
|Project source||telegram-grab, telegram-items|
|IRC channel||(on hackint)|
Telegram is a mostly open source chat system (web and app-based) which acts as a social network due to features like group chats and channels, originally intended as a drop-in replacement for WhatsApp.
Channels on Telegram are essentially public streams of posts, similar to Twitter or RSS.
Web data only
These tools archive Telegram channels through their web view. Only public channels can be saved this way, and certain attachments (including PDFs and some very long videos) are not available.
- ArchiveTeam's telegram project archives as WARC, supporting all available web data. A bot in the project IRC channel accepts archival requests for eventual upload into the Wayback Machine; it understands the following commands:
!a <url>archives the given telegram.me or t.me url (autodetecting the page type).
!a channel:<channel name>archives the given channel.
!a post:<channel name>:<post id>archives the given post, including any discussions.
- snscrape exports textual channel data as JSONL (media support is pending).
- Chromebot was once used, but has been shut down due to data integrity issues. (Old jobs can be found via this wiki.)
- The official Telegram Desktop app exports as HTML or JSON.
- telegram-export (no longer maintained)
- telegram-history-dump (no longer maintained); introduction
- Pidgin sync
See also Bellingcat's guide.
- NEXTA Live - Belarus independent news
Hong Kong pro-democracy movement / 2019–2020 Hong Kong protests
- ArchiveBot/Telegram (some sites related to Telegram)