|Archiving status||In progress...|
|IRC channel||(on hackint)|
Telegram is a mostly open source chat system (web and app-based) which acts as a social network due to features like group chats and channels, originally intended as a drop-in replacement for WhatsApp.
Like Facebook pages/groups and Twitter, Telegram chats can contain a significant amount of history (text, audio/video and images) of various online communities, as well as personal digital history of course. Means of exporting:
- Telegram Desktop, the official app, allows exporting channels/groups (all texts, images, videos, gifs, etc)
- telegram-export seems to be the most comprehensive and maintained tool.
- telegram-history-dump (introduction)
- Pidgin sync
- snscrape can archive public-facing channels
See also Bellingcat's guide.
Channels on Telegram are essentially public streams of posts, similar to Twitter or RSS.
A list of notable channels
- NEXTA Live - Belarus independent news
Hong Kong pro-democracy movement / 2019–2020 Hong Kong protests