What's going down
Archive Team recruiting
An updated Warrior virtual appliance (v3.2) is now available with better support for newer projects that utilize wget-at. Please download it using the link above.
- 2019-202? coronavirus outbreak: Documenting and preserving data, events, and impacts of the virus on society. IRC Channel #coronarchive (on hackint)
- ArchiveBot: For those with lots of disk space, bandwidth and long-term commitment. IRC Channel #archivebot (on hackint).
- WikiTeam: Saving wikis dumps (XML). And their external links for the Wayback Machine (WARC) as well as exporting MediaWiki databases. Permanent effort, everyone can help (you choose the size of your downloads). IRC Channel #wikiteam (on hackint).
- Dead people: When people die, their webpages and/or social media might go "Poof!" due to fees and other knick-knack. IRC Channel #archiveteam (on hackint)
Upcoming & proposed projects
Recently finished projects
- Coub: Coub's looping videos will loop
no more come April 1, 2022 for some time longer after an aborted shutdown. IRC Channel #coup (on hackint).
- Radikal: Panic grab of a Russian image host with "a billion" images and "a million" videos which shut down on 2022-03-10. IRC Channel #deradikalize (on hackint).
- Game Jolt: Deleting games it thinks are adult, with poor accuracy. IRC Channel #gamejilt (on hackint).
Hiatus / Missed the Mark
- Webs: Vistaprint is killing off the Freewebs you knew from the 2000s on
March 31 June 30, 2021 sometime, unless you pay up. IRC Channel #webbed (on hackint).
- Tinkercad: Autodesk announced its intent to put designs from inactive OAuth accounts back into minds around May 24, 2021. IRC Channel #tinkerhad (on hackint).
- Angelfire: Angelfire is a web hosting service that contains big chunks of early WWW history and has no proper backup. IRC Channel #angelonfire (on hackint).
- Audit 2014: It's time to verify our shit. IRC Channel #auditteam (on hackint). THIS PROJECT IS ON HIATUS AND WILL BE RETURNED TO AS AUDIT2018.
Yahoo! SmugMug decided to kill it after finding Yahoo!'s plans to do so before they were bought by Verizon. IRC Channel #flickrfckr (on hackint).
- FTP: Help us find and download all FTP sites! IRC Channel #effteepee (on hackint).
- Google Groups: "Gone within a year" (SketchCow, 2016-06-07).
- Google News Archive: Let's store all newspapers at Google, WCGW? IRC Channel #papersplease (on hackint).
- DevPort: This portfolio SaaS provider has reportedly been having infrastructure issues, and removed their social media accounts. Possible impending shutdown.
- INTERNETARCHIVE.BAK: Grab a slice of the big cake of The Archive! IRC Channel #internetarchive.bak (on hackint).
- ISP Hosting: Finding ISP web hosting services before the Grim Reaper finds them. IRC Channel #webroasting (on hackint).
- NewsGrabber: Saving all news articles. Currently paused. IRC Channel #newsgrabber (on hackint).
- Project Newsletter: Archiving e-newsletters, currently in development. IRC Channel #projectnewsletter (on hackint).
- Quizlet: Flashcards and other learning tools IRC Channel #quizletusin (on hackint).
- Tumblr: Yahoo! considered killing it, now Yahoo has been acquired and Verizon declared war on NSFW blogs. Tumblr has since been sold to Automattic. IRC Channel #tumbledown (on hackint).
- yuku: Lately yuku is very unstable and hosting thousands of forums. Project currently paused. IRC Channel #archiveteam-bs (on hackint).
ArchiveTeam uses the hackint IRC network – ircs://irc.hackint.org:6697 (TLS required) – webchat: https://webirc.hackint.org/ – More info
About Archive Team
The Archive Team saves shit that companies abandon.
Feel free to join us on the IRC channel! We're on the EFnet network in a channel called #archiveteam, where we say truly awful things.
- Deathwatch is where we track the walking dead. Websites, not zombies.
- Fire Drill is where we keep track of sites that seem fine but a lot depends on them.
- Projects is to keep track of AT endeavors.
- Philosophy describes the ideas underpinning our work.
DIY Data Rescue
- Software is all about the tools you need to save your stuff.
- Formats concerns formats, and how they die.
- Storage Media is about where to get it, what to get, and how to use it.