Jump to navigation Jump to search
Archive Team recruiting
- Want to code for Archive Team? Here's a starting point.
- Help us: ☞ Download and run your warrior ☜.
- What's on: online tracker.
- URLTeam: URL shorteners were a fucking awful idea. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- FTP: Download all the FTP sites! IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- NewsGrabber: Saving all news articles. Help with server power or by finding more news sites. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Make Magazine: "EVERYTHING RELATED TO MAKE MAGAZINE. GET IT ALL. START IMMEDIATELY." (SketchCow, 2019-06-04) IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- ArchiveBot: For those with lots of disk space, bandwidth and long-term commitment. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- FTP: Help us find all FTP sites! IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- INTERNETARCHIVE.BAK: Grab a slice of the big cake of The Archive! IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- ISP Hosting: Finding ISP web hosting services before the Grim Reaper finds them. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Project Newsletter: Archiving e-newsletters, currently in development. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- WikiTeam: Saving wikis dumps (XML). And their external links for the Wayback Machine (WARC) as well as exporting MediaWiki databases. Permanent effort, everyone can help (you choose the size of your downloads). IRC Channel (on EFnet).
Active Projects Not Yet Ingesting
- Sketch: Sony doesn't seem to like their user's sketches. Shutting down 2019-09-30. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Reddit: Banning communities that generate bad PR for Reddit Inc. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Google Fusion Tables: Shutting down on 2019-12-3. IRC Channel TBD.
- The Artist Union: Staff have gone dark for some time, this site is in danger of being lost to time.
- Angelfire: Angelfire is a web hosting service that contains big chunks of early WWW history and has no proper backup. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- JamiiForums: the Tanzanian government would like this gone. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- GitHub: Embraced-uh, I mean, bought by Microsoft. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Imgur: Image hoster decided that using it for hosting images is not permitted. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- LiveJournal: Very old, widely regarded as in decline, and has a lot of important stuff buried in it. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Ownlog: Ownlog is losing popularity and support from its owners. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- The Pirate Bay: Recently came back up, grabbing an archive for sanity's sake. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Valhalla: Where to store what even the Internet Archive doesn't have space for? IRC Channel (on EFnet).
Recently finished projects
- Facepunch Forums: Contained ~33 million posts and shut down on 2019-06-12. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- YTMND: Shut down on 2019-05-12. Content and database were donated to Archive Team. IRC Channel TBD.
- Google+: Google finally realised they failed. Shut down on 2019-04-02. Archive Team's largest grab to date with just short of 1.4 PiB (1424 TiB) saved. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- GeoCities Japan: It's GeoCities all over again... The Japanese version shut down on 2019-04-01. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Google Plus Comments on Blogspot: More content deleted during the Google+ shutdown. Comments removed from blogs starting 2019-02-04 but accessible for archiving until 2019-03-07. Approximately 30 million blogs scanned, and the comments of 181,565 blogs that contained Google+ comments were saved.
Hiatus / Missed the Mark
Yahoo!SmugMug decided to kill it after finding Yahoo!'s plans to do so before they were bought by Verizon. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Tumblr: Yahoo! considered killing it, now Yahoo has been acquired and Verizon declared war on NSFW blogs. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Textream: Yahoo! Japan has killed yet another platform... Large Japanese discussion forum went partially down in early 2019-01 (?). IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Google News Archive: Let's store all newspapers at Google, WCGW? IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Quizlet: Flashcards and other learning tools IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- yuku: Lately yuku is very unstable and hosting thousands of forums. Project currently paused. IRC Channel (on EFnet).
- Audit 2014: It's time to verify our shit. IRC Channel (on EFnet). THIS PROJECT IS ON HIATUS AND WILL BE RETURNED TO AS AUDIT2018.
- Google Groups: "Gone within a year" (SketchCow, 2016-06-07).
- The Escapist: Staff activity dwindling due to layoffs, remaining supporters are doing it for free. IRC Channel TBD.
- DevPort: This portfolio SaaS provider has reportedly been having infrastructure issues, and removed their social media accounts. Possible impending shutdown.