We've uploaded a bunch of stuff:
- subject:archiveteam = 8,845 items
- collection:archiveteam = 39,562 items
- subject:archiveteam AND NOT collection:archiveteam = 1,507
(The 3rd one should eventually be close to empty.)
Let's go through the list and make sure it's categorized, has decent metadata, etc.
Many of our uploads are quite large, and have been broken into many items on Archive.org. We'll group them together here and verify each set all at once.
Things to check
- Are all the related items grouped into a collection?
- Can a visitor figure out what each item represents? Items in a collection don't need to repeat the description of the collection, but it'd be nice if they had a sentence or two, and information about how the item differs from the other items in the collection ("MP3s from earbits.com, files starting with c." from the Earbits items is a good example.)
- Are all the related items included in the same collection?
- Can a visitor find the item by browsing the collections?
- Can a visitor find other items in a set, starting at any item in the set? Can a visitor find the index of a large set starting from any part of it?
- If the item is a collection of sub-items, is one of these sub-items an index of the others? (This is a complicated thing to check for and to create when it doesn't exist, so we can come back to this after we've checked the rest.)
- Your suggestion here
- this is just off the top of my head.
Current Sub-Collections at Archive Team
|Collection||Status||Auditor||Item Count||Has an Index||Description of Audit|
|No Category (earbits)||Unaudited||98||Yes||The items are not in a collection. Most items are WARCs; the rest need additional work if anyone is going to be able to find the exact MP3 they want.|
|archiveteam_ptch||Audited||db48x||50||No||Collection has great description, but no categories. Items in collection are WARCS. One item not included in the collection: deathy-s3-test-ptch|
|archiveteam_flowerpot||Audited||db48x||406||No||The description of the collection is anemic, but each item is well-identified.|
|github_files||Audited||db48x||1||No||Pretty bad shape. Only one item in the collection, and that's only half the data. Was the rest never uploaded? Has no description, keywords or other metadata. Other Github items could be included, such as this repository index, and these other file downloads|
|justintv||Audited||db48x||189||Decent description, but no other metadata. There are 51 other 'justintv' items, but none of them look to be from us.|
|archiveteam_mochimedia||Audited||db48x||9||No||Collection includes Mochi's notice about the shutdown, but no other context. The items are all WARCs, and all have CDXs and JSON indexes, but there's no overall index.
Index can be easily generated from this 26MB JSON file--chfoo
|archivebot||Unaudited||1070||Sort of: Viewer||ArchiveBot; The viewer doesn't seem to index into crawls; there's no link from the collection or the items to the viewer (or anywhere else)|
|archiveteam_yahooblogs and archiveteam_yahooblog||Audited||db48x||49||No||Collection description is just the shutdown notice (and apparently quite a brief one at that) with no other context. Items are all WARCs, and all have CDXs and JSON indexes, but there's no overall index. One item is orphaned in a collection of its own; apparently caused by a typo in the collection name.|
|archiveteam-picplz||Audited||db48x||141||Yes||The collection description is just the shutdown message, with no other context. Items are tarballs containing WARCs. There is an index, but it's not a part of the collection (). There's also a search page for the index, which is great.|
|archiveteam_puush||Audited||db48x||1781||The collection description is just the shutdown notice, but it's better than average; it includes some context. The items are all WARCs with CDXs, but there's no central index.|
|archiveteam_upcoming||Audited||dashcloud1||142||no||The collection description only describes the site, not the items themselves. Individual items have no description of any kind.|
|archiveteam_randomfandom||Audited||dashcloud1||42||yes||Short collection description, but has an index, and every collection item is well described. Index is located right on collection page.|
|archiveteam_antecedents||Audited||db48x||46||N/A||This collection represents multiple sites, rather than multiple parts of a single large site. The collection description is quite brief, but each item appears to have a paragraph describing what the site is/was, as well as some basic metadata such as keywords. All the items appear to be WARCs with CDXs|
|archiveteam_jazzhands||Audited||db48x||443||No||This one is a collection of items from multiple sites, but those sites are also broken up into multiple items based on when they were scanned. The items have brief descriptions and some keywords, and are WARCs with CDXs. A good way to improve this would be to make collections for each site as subcollections.|
|archiveteam_myopera||Audited||dashcloud1||155||No||Collection page has a nice description of the site, and the items. The items appear to be all have WARCs, and have no descriptions/keywords of any kind on them.|
|archiveteam_bebo||Unaudited||JesseW||2867||They appear to all be WARCs, most uploaded on the same day; it's not clear if all of them are in the Wayback Machine or not. Each item has no description or context.|
|archiveteam_dogster||Audited||jscott||55||???||Collection well described. Wayback Machine-Ready WARCs, all integrated.|
|twitterstream||Unaudited||41||Twitter According to reviews, at least one file is empty.|
|pastebinpastes||Unaudited||223||These are tarballs (less than 100 MBs, usually), containing each paste in a separate file. Most recently updated on July 1, 2014|
|archiveteam_patch||Unaudited||38||Patch ; WARCs|
|archiveteam_posterous||Unaudited||444||Posterous ; WARCs|
|archiveteam_greader||Unaudited||368||Google Reader; 3 categories of WARCs: Directory, Stats & general. It would probably be good to also put them in separate collections. There is also a combined stats item.|
|archiveteam_ignsites||Unaudited||81||IGN (needs link to archive); Each item contains a particular subdomain. Descriptive names.|
|archiveteam_g4tv_forums||Unaudited||74||ARCs from wikipedia:G4 (TV channel), mainly from the forum|
|archiveteam-yahoovideo||Unaudited||156||Yahoo! Video; various inconsistency in naming and categories; some items contain zip files, while others contain tar files.|
|archive-team-friendster||Unaudited||137||Maybe -> archiveteam-friendster-index item||Friendster; early (2011) project, variety of formats|
|archiveteam_formspring||Unaudited||1477||Formspring; WARCs; some duplication in collection description|
|archiveteam_yahoo_messages||Unaudited||17||Yahoo! Messages; WARCs; Minimal description on collection, none on items|
|archiveteam_punchfork||Unaudited||47||Yes||Punchfork; Needs link to index from collection description (and item descriptions); three different types of items, unclear differences|
|yahoo_korea_blogs||Unaudited||10||WARCs; no item descriptions|
|archiveteam-cinch||Unaudited||20||No||Cinch.fm; 10 items, in both WARC and tar formats|
|archiveteam_dailybooth||Unaudited||203||Yes||DailyBooth; link to index on collection page needs adjusting; images seem to be downloadable; individual items lack descriptions|
|archiveteam_weblognl||Unaudited||26||No||Weblog.nl; no English-language description|
|stage6||Unaudited||790||Videos from wikipedia:Stage6; many seem to be unavailable from IA, due to "issues with the item's content."|
|googlegroups-part2||Unaudited||27||No||Google Groups; each item contains a single tar file (ranging in size from 300 MB to over 40 GB); the tar files contain separate zip files for each group; the zip files the actual files. This should probably be grouped with the other grabs of Google Groups.|
|archiveteam-qaudio-archive||Unaudited||7||No||Many small WARCs in each item; lengthy explanation in collection description, none in each item|
|tabblo-archive||Unaudited||1806||Maybe: groups item||Tabblo; 9 MegaWARCs, the rest of the items are groups of indiviual accounts as zip files|
|archiveteam-fortunecity||Unaudited||Yes||55||FortuneCity; 26 "Set" items (containing a single large tar in each one); also 26 WARC items, and one leftovers item|
|2012-04-30-wikimedia-images-snapshot||Unaudited||Nemo||148||Not really||Should become a subcollection of "wikicollections", so that it's next to "wikimediacommons". The "remote" tarballs partially overlap with xowa items nowadays. If a complete mirror of the Your.Org tarballs is desired, we should list it at  with some maintenance information. It's not clear whether investing N TB at IA is a priority here, nor whether IA expects WikiTeam to do the uploads instead (in that case, ask Hydriz or Arkiver). Also, the Your.Org dumps are currently blocked on the lack of a rsync server on Wikimedia servers.|
|archiveteam-anyhub||Unaudited||39||AnyHub; 18 each WARC & tar items, and one called the "Blue Collection"|
|archiveteam-fire||Unaudited||7135||A vast and misc. collection; needs quite a bit of TLC|
|archiveteam-mypodcast||Unaudited||383||Each item is a separate podcast, containing indvidual sound files, playable through the IA interface; there is also a misc item|
|archiveteam-googlegroups||Unaudited||JesseW||1,348||Partial (each item has a list of groups, but there's no overall list)||Google Groups; This is divided into items by the initial two letters (or digits or underscore). The item for "th" has an inconsistent title and category.|
|isohunt dumps 1 2 3||Unaudited||3||No||These are not yet in a dedicated collection, and have never been post-processed. Some of the .torrent files may actually be error pages. This needs work, and proper full auditing.|
|No Category (streetfiles)||Unaudited|
|archiveteam_yahoovoices||Unaudited||30||No||Yahoo! Voices; WARCs|
But what happened after? Where are the archives?
- Free ProHosting
- Google Video
- Len Sassaman Project
- Lulu Poetry
- Spanish Revolution: Is this finished?
- University of Michigan personal webpages
- Windows Live Spaces
Oddities, Mislocations, and To Do
- https://archive.org/search.php?query=earbits Earbits gathering is in the wrong place and needs additional versions.
To be moved to better collection
- https://archive.org/details/Data2September2013.tar (Gunnerkrigg Court homepage comments snapshots)
- https://archive.org/details/Kazbeg_Panorama.jpg -- If tags can be edited by non-owners, this probably shouldn't have the archiveteam tag.
- https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22wallbase%22 -- 10 different items, representing efforts at saving wallbase.cc; need to be sorted and organized
- https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22aol%20archiveteam%2C%20aol%20files%2C%20aol%20protocol%22 -- 6 items that need their subject tags cleaned up
- https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Tabblo%22%20AND%20NOT%20collection%3Aarchiveteam -- 5 of the 11 Tabblo items are not in the Archiveteam collection
- https://archive.org/details/flipnote-hatena-dkl3collection - in wikiteam collection but not a wiki so should be somewhere else
- Yahoo!_Blog: What happened to the Vietnam archives? Does anyone have a copy or at least a blurry screenshot of the Korean shutdown notice?