tiktok home page as seen on November 9, 2019
|Project status||Online! but possibly Endangered|
|Archiving status||Not saved yet|
|IRC channel||(on hackint)|
TikTok is a social media app for short, user generated videos developed by the Chinese company ByteDance. The app was launched internationally in September 2017 and merged with musical.ly on 9 November 2017. It is currently under intense scrutiny for its collection and use of user data, primarily in its relationship with China.
Douyin is the China-only version of TikTok.
- https://www.douyin.com | Main page
- https://sso.douyin.com | Some sort of login thing? Unsure
- https://renzheng.douyin.com | Unsure
- https://v.douyin.com | Redirects to iesdouyin, where videos are
- https://open.douyin.com | Unsure
- https://musician.douyin.com | Unsure
- https://creator.douyin.com | Unsure
- https://www.iesdouyin.com | Videos are seen on this page
If anyone who can read Chinese would like to help out, that'd be great.
youtube-dl is able to grab videos straight from the site
A tool to generate the signature TikTok uses to sign all their requests exists and is actively updated
Work is being done to create a tool that can get all of a users videos and WARC them up, that's being implemented in a cli tool and irc bot TikTokTake
TikUp is a Python package that gets all videos from a user or a hashtag, and uploads them to the Internet Archive under `tiktok-<video id>`. Github link
- The first request for archival was in October 2019 due to removal of pro-LGBTQ content, even in countries where homosexuality has never been illegal. 
- Videos from Douyin (Chinese TikTok) can not be seen outside of China. 
- In August 2020 Trump said "As far as TikTok is concerned, we're banning them from the United States," 
- In 2020-09-18, the Trump administrator will ban downloads of the TikTok app starting 2020-09-20, and access will be banned on November 12.
Tiktok Video Bin on the Internet Archive is where the TikToks uploaded with TikUp and all videos uploaded with the identifier 'tiktok-<video id>' go. The Internet Archive deindexed this collection some time in 2020.
- https://m.tiktok.com/v/<id> is a better way to archive videos, versus https://www.tiktok.com/@<username>/video/<id>. (because it requires the ID only, not the username and the ID)
- Videos without sound can't be viewed or downloaded(it just says 'Video currently unavailable') on desktop, and their links don't work, but they can be viewed and downloaded on mobile.
- If we wanted to make a Warrior, we could use https://vm.tiktok.com/*******/, I think it's alphanumeric, but I'm not sure if these links work for every TikTok
- "TikTok's local moderation guidelines ban pro-LGBT content" - Article on The Guardian
- "TikTok - Yes, TikTok - Is the Latest Window Into China’s Police State" - Article on Wired
- "Trump says he will ban TikTok" - Article on CNN