Delicious mainpage in 2010-12-16
|Project status||Unstable (being sold)|
|Archiving status||In progress...|
|IRC channel||(on EFnet)|
Delicious is a social bookmarks site where you can post and tag sites using Yahoo!'s servers. The shutdown of the website was seemingly announced when an image from a Yahoo presentation was posted online. Then Yahoo agreed to sell it, not shut it down, and in April 2011 it did so to AVOS, a company run by the founders of Youtube.
However, users are required to accept the AVOS terms of service before their bookmarks are migrated to AVOS's system. All bookmarks that are not migrated by July 2011 will be lost.
All bookmarks are publicly viewable unless the user chooses to save them as private. The format is simply http://www.delicious.com/[username] to see all of a user's bookmarks.
Discovery is a bit trickier of an issue. There are starting places like "popular" and "recent" to get handfuls of usernames. If a method of crawling from one username to another could be found, those could be parlayed into a growing web.
- General Overview of backing up Delicious using the XML API. Up to date as of Sept 2008.
- When logged in: Settings -> Export - "creates a list of all your bookmarks in a format understandable by most browsers".
- XML Dump (requires username and password). Delicious doesn't like it if you try to call this more than once an hour or so. API details.
- Mirror your Delicious bookmarks into a MySQL database and Backup Del.icio.us with Excel, both using the Delicious API.
- "How to easily back up your delicious bookmarks" at Ratafia Current - using the Delicious API, cURL, Ruby, cron, etc.
- curl https://USERNAME:PASSWORD@api.del.icio.us/v1/posts/all > backup.xml
Delicious was foreseen to be closed when an image of a Yahoo presentation leaked on the internet stating it for "sunset", however Yahoo soon stated the site was to be sold.
Now that it has been sold to AVOS, bookmarks owned by users interested in migrating will be kept alive by AVOS (in a form to be determined). However, users who are inactive or uninterested in moving will let their bookmarks disappear in July. For more information, see the FAQ page on the buy-out.
- Error creating thumbnail: File missing