HISTORY IS OUR FUTURE
And we've been trashing our history
This website is intended to be an offloading point and information depot for a number of archiving projects, all related to saving websites or data that is in danger of being lost. Besides serving as a hub for team-based pulling down and mirroring of data, this site will provide advice on managing your own data and rescuing it from the brink of destruction.
Feel free to join us on IRC! We're on the EFnet network in a channel called #archiveteam, where we say truly awful things.
- Deathwatch is where we keep track of sites that are sickly, dying or dead.
- Projects is to keep track of AT endeavors.
- Philosophy describes the ideas underpinning our work.
DIY Data Rescue
- The Introduction is an overview of basic archiving methods.
- Why Back Up? Because they don't care about you.
- Save Yourselves! From the horror of data loss.
- Software will assist you in regaining control of your data by providing tools for information backup, archiving and distribution.
- Storage Media is about where to get it, what to get, and how to use it.
Who We Are
This project is composed of volunteers, currently coordinated by Jason Scott.
If you're wondering where to stick your nose in, we could use:
- Writers, who can create clear essays and instructions for archivers and concerned parties.
- People with Lots of Hosted Disk Space who have a proper hosted webserver and fat pipe, who are willing (when asked) to consider hosting mirrored dead sites or archives.
- People who love setting up torrents who can do the same as the mirror folks, but do so hosting torrents.
- OCD-rich individuals who want to download things who will respond to our alerts and call outs and download entire sites or diagnose ways to get at obfuscated data.
Mirror and torrent people should write Jason at email@example.com. Press people looking for an easy, quote-filled interview about this important subject can contact Jason as well.
The site is still very new. Please be patient with the missing bits or help us fill them in.