The ArchiveTeam Warrior is a virtual archiving appliance. You can run it to help with the ArchiveTeam archiving efforts. It will download sites and upload them to our archive — and it’s really easy to do!
The warrior is a virtual machine, so there is no risk to your computer. The warrior will only use your bandwidth and some of your disk space. It will get tasks from and report progress to the Tracker.
The warrior runs on Windows, OS X and Linux. You’ll need VirtualBox (recommended), VMware or a similar program to run the virtual machine.
Instructions for VirtualBox:
- Download the appliance (174MB).
- In VirtualBox, click File > Import Appliance and open the file.
- Start the virtual machine. It will fetch the latest updates and will eventually tell you to start your web browser.
Once you’ve started your warrior:
- Go to http://localhost:8001/ and check the Settings page.
- Choose a username — we’ll show your progress on the leaderboard.
- Go to the All projects tab and pick a project to work on. Even better: select ArchiveTeam’s Choice to let your warrior work on the most urgent project.
Previous and current warrior projects:
|MobileMe||Archive Posted||April 3, 2012||Aug 8, 2012||Success|
|Fortune City||Archive Posted||April 4, 2012||April 11, 2012||Partial Success||archive user lookup|
|Tabblo||Archive Posted||May 23, 2012||May 26, 2012||Success||archive user lookup|
|PicPlz||Archive Posted||June 3, 2012||June 15, 2012||archive index user lookup|
|Tumblr (test project)||Archive Posted||August 9, 2012||August 19, 2012||archive (tar) archive (warc)|
|Cinch.FM||Archive Posted||August 20, 2012||August 22, 2012||Success||archive|
|City Of Heroes||Archive Posted||September 3, 2012||December 1, 2012||Success||www forums 1 2 3 4 5|
|Webshots||Archive Posted||October 4, 2012||November 18, 2012||index|
|BT Internet||Archive Posted||October 10, 2012||November 2, 2012||Success||archive|
|Daily Booth||Archive Posted||November 19, 2012||December 29, 2012||archive lookup|
|Github||Archive Posted||December 13, 2012||December 17, 2012||Success||archive index|
|Yahoo Blogs (Vietnamese)||Download Finished||January 8, 2013||January 19, 2013|
|weblog.nl||Archive Posted||January 19, 2013||February 2, 2013||archive lookup|
|Punchfork||Archive Posted||January 11, 2013||March 6, 2013||archive user lookup|
|Xanga||Downloads Paused||January 22, 2013||February 16, 2013||archive user lookup user list|
|Posterous||Active||February 23, 2013|
|Storylane||Active||March 8, 2013|
|Yahoo! Messages||Active||March 20, 2013|
- In Development
- a future project
- start up a Warrior and join the fun; this one is in progress right now
- Downloads Finished
- we've finished downloading the data
- the collected data has been properly archived
- Archive Posted
- the archive is available for download
- downloaded all of the data and posted the archive publicly
- Qualified Success
- either we couldn't get all of the data, or the archive can't be made public
- the site closed before we could download anything
Testing pre-production code
(Don't do this unless you really need or want to.) If you are developing a warrior script, you can test it by switching your warrior from the
production branch to the
- Start the warrior.
- Press Alt+F2 and log in with username
sudo -u warrior git checkout master
By the same route you can return your warrior to the