The ArchiveTeam Warrior is a virtual archiving appliance. You can run it to help with the ArchiveTeam archiving efforts. It will download sites and upload them to our archive — and it’s really easy to do!
The warrior is a virtual machine, so there is no risk to your computer. The warrior will only use your bandwidth and some of your disk space.
The warrior runs on Windows, OS X and Linux. You’ll need VirtualBox (recommended), VMware or a similar program to run the virtual machine.
Instructions for VirtualBox:
- Download the appliance (174MB).
- In VirtualBox, click File > Import Appliance and open the file.
- Start the virtual machine. It will fetch the latest updates and will eventually tell you to start your web browser.
Once you’ve started your warrior:
- Go to http://localhost:8001/ and check the Settings page.
- Choose a username — we’ll show your progress on the leaderboard.
- Go to the All projects tab and pick a project to work on. Even better: select ArchiveTeam’s Choice to let your warrior work on the most urgent project.
Previous and current warrior projects:
|MobileMe||Archive Posted||April 3, 2012||Aug 8, 2012||Success|
|Fortune City||Archive Posted||April 4, 2012||April 11, 2012||Partial Success||archive user lookup|
|Tabblo||Archive Posted||May 23, 2012||May 26, 2012||Success||archive user lookup|
|PicPlz||Archive Posted||June 3, 2012||June 15, 2012||archive index user lookup|
|Tumblr (test project)||Archive Posted||August 9, 2012||August 19, 2012||archive (tar) archive (warc)|
|Cinch.FM||Archive Posted||August 20, 2012||August 22, 2012||Success||archive|
|City Of Heroes||Archive Posted||September 3, 2012||December 1, 2012||Success||www forums 1 2 3 4 5|
|Webshots||Archive Posted||October 4, 2012||November 18, 2012||index|
|BT Internet||Archive Posted||October 10, 2012||November 2, 2012||Success||archive|
|Daily Booth||Archive Posted||November 19, 2012||December 29, 2012||archive lookup|
|Github||Archive Posted||December 13, 2012||December 17, 2012||Success||archive index|
|Yahoo Blogs (Vietnamese)||Download Finished||January 8, 2013||January 19, 2013|
|weblog.nl||Archive Posted||January 19, 2013||February 2, 2013||archive lookup|
|Punchfork||Archive Posted||January 11, 2013||March 6, 2013||archive user lookup|
|Xanga||Downloads Paused||January 22, 2013||February 16, 2013||archive user lookup user list|
|Posterous||Active||February 23, 2013|
|Storylane||Active||March 8, 2013|
|Yahoo! Messages||Active||March 20, 2013|
- In Development
- a future project
- start up a Warrior and join the fun; this one is in progress right now
- Downloads Finished
- we've finished downloading the data
- the collected data has been properly archived
- Archive Posted
- the archive is available for download
- downloaded all of the data and posted the archive publicly
- Qualified Success
- either we couldn't get all of the data, or the archive can't be made public
- the site closed before we could download anything
Testing pre-production code
(Don't do this unless you really need or want to.) If you are developing a warrior script, you can test it by switching your warrior from the
production branch to the
- Start the warrior.
- Press Alt+F2 and log in with username
sudo -u warrior git checkout master
By the same route you can return your warrior to the