|Archiving status||Submitted to ArchiveBot with id 6gqx0h2ddwrt0546teaduc0uk|
|IRC channel||(on EFnet)|
Postmedia and Metroland Media are two large media publishers in Canada. On November 27, 2017, Postmedia and Metroland Media (a division of TorStar) completed a deal to "swap" dozens of community newspapers. Not all newspapers are impacted. Only some were swapped. The reason is not known. The local offices of the newspapers have closed. The swap resulted in dozens of community newspapers stop publishing. The impacted newspaper sites are assumed to, at some point, become unavailable. According to BNN, Postmedia CEO says he didn't know Torstar was going to cut papers as well.
It is unlikely for the impacted newspapers to resurrect. It is believed the companies closed papers and dismissed workers in an effort to focus on their other papers (competitors) within the relevant regions. For example, The Barrie Examiner was swapped and closed, likely for the benefit of The Barrie Advance (published in print and via https://www.simcoe.com/ , and is not closing).
Postmedia has been protesting about Facebook and Google. Once they left the front page completely blank, which probably hurt their business more than it helped; and the same goes for when the replaced the front page with a letter to Justin Trudeau (the prime minister of Canada as of 2021. User:TheTechRobo plans on archiving some small(er) Postmedia-owned newspapers.
WARNING: robots.txt does not allow ia_archiver or ia_archiver/1.6 user agents.
Postmedia sites timeout over HTTPS (except metro). Non www will redirect to www subdomain.
On November 27, 2017, Metroland Media (a division of TorStar) has announced it will close the following newspapers it received from Postmedia:
- http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ Offline
- http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/ Offline
- http://www.orilliapacket.com/ Offline
- http://www.bradfordtimes.ca/ Offline
- http://www.theenterprisebulletin.com/ Offline
- http://www.forterietimes.ca/ Offline
- http://www.innisfilexaminer.ca/ Offline
- http://www.niagaraadvance.ca/ Offline
- http://www.inportnews.ca/ Offline
- http://www.thoroldedition.ca/ Offline
- http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/ Offline
24hours is a free news service.
- http://www.toronto24hours.ca/ Offline
Ottawa and Winnipeg Metro division -
these sites are a PITA to switch cities when using a bot! Offline
- http://www.metronews.ca/winnipeg.html Offline
Print version has been archived and available athttps://archive.org/details/Metro-Winnipeg WARNING: archive.org appears to have malfunctioned and some files need to be restored by them. An email has been sent. There should be 1456 original files, but only 46 show. CoolCanuck still has the pdfs and could reupload if needed.
- http://www.metronews.ca/ottawa.html Offline
- Print version has been archived and available at https://archive.org/details/Metro-Ottawa_201711
|Archiving status||Submitted to ArchiveBot with id: 6gqx0h2ddwrt0546teaduc0uk|
|IRC channel||(on EFnet)|
http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1524230-a-list-of-affected-canadian-newspapers-in-the-torstar-postmedia-deal reports that the following are closing:
- "Belleville News" - unknown what this means
- Brant News (https://www.brantnews.com/) Offline
- Inside Belleville (https://www.insidebelleville.com/) Offline
- Kingston Region (https://www.kingstonregion.com/) Offline
- Frontenac Gazette at https://issuu.com/frontenacgazette
- Ottawa Community news via https://www.ottawacommunitynews.com
- Kanata Kourier-Standard at https://issuu.com/kanatakourier
- Nepean-Barrhaven News at https://issuu.com/emcnepean
- Orleans News at https://issuu.com/emcorleans
- Ottawa East News at https://issuu.com/emceast
- Ottawa South News at https://issuu.com/emcsouth
- Ottawa West News at https://issuu.com/emcwest
- Stittsville News at https://issuu.com/stittsvillenews
- West Carleton Review at https://issuu.com/westcarletonreview
- Our London (https://www.ourlondon.ca/)
- Norfolk News (https://www.norfolknews.ca/) Offline
- Inside Brockville (https://www.insidebrockville.com/) Offline
- St. Lawrence News at https://issuu.com/stlawrencenews
- Our Perth (https://www.ourperth.ca) Offline
- St. Mary's Journal-Argus at https://issuu.com/stmarysjorunalargus
- Stratford City Gazette at ISSUU NOT FOUND??
- The Weekly News (https://www.theweeklynews.ca/) Offline
- St. Thomas/Elgin Weekly News at https://issuu.com/weeklynews
Abanondened sites: 2012 - http://www.emcstlawrence.ca (changed to Inside Brockville?); Archives broken. UPDATE 2021 It looks like the domain has been transferred to a completely different company "EMC Security".
- It is unknown when these sites will go offline. It might be tomorrow, or they might try to squeeze as much advertiser money out as possible
- POSTMEDIA: eedition subdomain (electronic version of print papers e.g.: http://eedition.thebarrieexaminer.com) require a subscription. The front page of the latest version can be viewed for free. A 14-day subscription option exists for some papers. change www to eedition to access.
- POSTMEDIA: eedition is running newspaperdirect.com as their software. They are aspx pages. A pdf version
- POSTMEDIA: eedition front page (only front page) can be printed (as an IMAGE - not text) to a printer (e.g.: pdf printer).
- RSS feeds only display a few articles.
- POSTMEDIA: Archives (all posts) are available
- POSTMEDIA: Some newspapers are available via PressReader (e.g.: https://www.pressreader.com/canada/the-barrie-examiner/) . Only the front page and a few articles are free to view.
- Offices of the local newspapers have closed with a sign saying "This location is now closed. For any delievery concerns please contact Metroland Customer Service at 1-855-853-5613 Or email at email@example.com"
- https://www.metronews.ca/ottawa.html and https://www.metronews.ca/winnipeg.html on November 29, 2017 redirected to Google.ca
- As of November 30, many sites now redirect to another local news site. They have been marked with "offline" in red.