|IRC channel||(on hackint)|
Wikipedia is the largest wiki on the planet, with several million articles available in English and several million more in dozens of available languages.
For once, a site that recognizes the importance of third-party backups! They have a main downloads page from which you can get XML dumps from individual wikis (Wikimedia Foundation hosts more than 800 wikis: Wikipedias, Wiktionaries, Wikinews, Wikisources, Wikibooks, Wikiquotes, Wikiversities, Wikispecies, Wikimedia Commons, Wikivoyage, Wikidata).
- WikiTeam script to download Wikipedia dumps from download.wikimedia.org
As of 19:07, 10 July 2016 (EDT), dumps.wikimedia.org only has about 10 earlier versions of dumps for each wiki, generally going back to around October 2015. They don't seem to be linked, but they are accessible via http://dumps.wikimedia.org/wikiname/ (where wikiname is listed on the index page).
There is no current public backup for images uploaded to Wikimedia Commons, which has about 32 million images and other media files uploaded on its services as of 19:07, 10 July 2016 (EDT).
- official backups site
- http://download.wikimedia.org/archive/ - about a dozen older dumps, including one from 2006, as well as 2 from 2001.
• • •
- Direct Wayback link
- • • •
- • • •
- Internet Archive results: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=wikipedia%20dumps (223,142 results as of 20:25, 10 July 2016 (EDT))
- 810 items, with archivedates from April 9, 2010 through Aug 13, 2014 as of 20:25, 10 July 2016 (EDT)
- Three sets of all or most of the different language editions of Wikipedia, from 2010-04-08, 2010-06-10 and 2011-08-08.
- 2010-04 has an underscore between the wiki name and the date, and is missing ltwiki (Lithuanian) presumably because it was created between then and June 2010.
- 2010-06 has the same identifier format, and contains one edition that is missing from the other two: emwiki (which appears to be the wikipedia:Emilian-Romagnol edition).
- 2011-08 has a dash (rather than an underscore) both before and after "wiki", and is missing 7 editions that are present in the other two (ace, ckb, hu, krc, mwl, pcd, pnb) and contains 7 missing from them (ak, be_x_old, eml, fj, hz, ng, tokipona).
- There are also 12 other misc dumps:
Transferring to IA
Hydriz is currently transferring the dumps of all Wikimedia projects into the Internet Archive. Wikimedia itself has provided resources to me for transferring these dumps to the Internet Archive. Do see the collection here.
Stable, but they seriously use a lot of tactics to get donations.
- Wikimedia Commons
- WikiTravel - Not a Wikimedia project, but its content was forked to create WMF-hosted rival Wikivoyage.