|Archiving status||Not saved yet|
|IRC channel||(on hackint)|
Twitter is a microblogging service. With each "entry" being 140 characters or less, the ease which which you can track the tiniest details of your life is amazing. The site has become very popular as a result.
The site is becoming so popular, in fact, that many people are deserting or cutting back on their weblogs to just use the Twitter service for what their weblogging used to fulfill; and with that comes rampant centralization, and with that, greater risk. Back up your tweets!
There are currently a few archives (but only partially):
- Cheng-Caverlee-Lee September 2009 - January 2010 Twitter Scrape: almost 10 millon tweets
- The May 2011 Calufa Twitter Scrape: 90+ million tweets from more than 6 million users
- Tweetake Using this tool you can back up your Twitter account.
- Tweetscan Data downloads your Twitter archive from 12/2007 onward in CSV format (requires Twitter account login/password)
- Python script using BeautifulSoup
Very stable, probably not going anywhere too soon without warning.
Library of Congress
The U.S. Library of Congress announced in April 2010, via its official Twitter account that it will be acquiring the entire archive of Twitter messages back through March 2006.