Difference between revisions of "Talk:GeoCities"
Revision as of 05:01, 7 December 2009
Articles about Geocities closing
So I kind of tried to collect some pages, but:
Geocities to close after 15 years of aesthetic "awesomeness" - Ars Technica
Yahoo Quietly Pulls The Plug On Geocities - TechCrunch
Yahoo pulls the plug on GeoCities - BBC News
"It's official: Yahoo is pulling the plug, and GeoCities is dead. GeoCities had suffered a long and drawn-out battle with its health over the past decade. An antiquated service model and outdated technology are widely blamed for the struggle. An official cause of death, however, has yet to be determined. Awful, eye-punishing graphics, lack of relevancy, and 'lowest-common-denominator design' are believed to have contributed to its demise. GeoCities was 15 years old." Yahoo Pulls the Plug on GeoCities - Slashdot
grawity 17:23, 26 April 2009 (UTC)
Can we add something on this page about help wanted? Here's my list:
- Archiving pages that link to Geocities homesteads, before those disappear too. They might have information about homesteads that were not saved by any archiving projects.
- Asking former community leaders for help.
- Web pages about the Geocities heritage, explaining its historical and cultural significance and what it means to some people.
- Web pages with stories from community leaders and other homesteaders about their life at Geocities, and where they are now.
- Some kind of reconstruction or representation of the flavor, character and spirit of life at Geocities in the time of the neighborhoods and community leaders.
- Indexes and directories of the archives.
- Indexes and directories of surviving fragments of Geocities homesteads, friendships, neighborhoods and community life.
- Indexes and directories of information about Geocities. One example is Blade's list of the neighborhoods and suburbs.
- Reunions of homesteaders and community leaders.
--Jimhabegger 23:49, 27 November 2009 (UTC)