What's going down
Archive Team recruiting
- Webs: Vistaprint is killing off the Freewebs you knew from the 2000s on March 31, 2021, unless you pay up. IRC Channel #webbed (on hackint).
- Niconico metadata: Erasing comments linked to deleted videos sometime this spring. IRC Channel #niconino (on hackint).
- URLTeam: URL shorteners were a fucking awful idea. IRC Channel #urlteam (on hackint).
Newer projects utilize wget-at which the existing Warrior virtual appliance isn't able to run. To be able to run these projects, use a Docker container. See Running Archive Team Projects with Docker for instructions.
- 2019-2020 coronavirus outbreak: Documenting and preserving data, events, and impacts of the virus on society. IRC Channel #coronarchive (on hackint)
- ArchiveBot: For those with lots of disk space, bandwidth and long-term commitment. IRC Channel #archivebot (on hackint).
- WikiTeam: Saving wikis dumps (XML). And their external links for the Wayback Machine (WARC) as well as exporting MediaWiki databases. Permanent effort, everyone can help (you choose the size of your downloads). IRC Channel #wikiteam (on hackint).
- MP3.com: Digging through the WayBack Machine's archives to build a database of all the DAM CDs made available through the site.
Upcoming & proposed projects
Recently finished projects
- Halo: Back to finishing off unfinished business before Bungie kills the original website on February 9, 2021. IRC Channel #yolohalo (on hackint).
- Endomondo: GPS workout tracker with optional social networking features, shutting down 2020-12-31. IRC Channel #findelmundo (on hackint).
- .eu domains: The Brexit deal is done, and with that comes a purge of UK-based sites no longer eligible to use the .EU domain as of 2021. IRC Channel #noteurdomain (on hackint).
- Flash domains: An effort to preserve what remains of a storied legacy of websites hosting Adobe Flash Player content before the web industry takes it behind the shed. IRC Channel #flashbang (on hackint).
Hiatus / Missed the Mark
ArchiveTeam primarily uses the hackint IRC network – ircs://irc.hackint.org:6697 (TLS required) – webchat: https://webirc.hackint.org/ – More info
ArchiveTeam also has some channels left on the EFnet IRC network – irc://irc.efnet.org – webchat: http://chat.efnet.org:9090 – More info
About Archive Team
The Archive Team saves shit that companies abandon.
Feel free to join us on the IRC channel! We're on the EFnet network in a channel called #archiveteam, where we say truly awful things.
- Projects is a list of Archive Team projects.
DIY Data Rescue
- The FAQ is where we answer common questions
- Software is all about the tools you need to save your stuff.
- Formats concerns formats, and how they die.