Jump to navigation Jump to search
Hacker News mainpage on 2014-10-23
|Archiving status||Not saved yet|
|IRC channel||#archiveteam-bs (on hackint)|
Hacker News is a social news website for programmers and entrepreneurs. It is run by the startup incubator Y Combinator.
Originally started as a demonstration of the Arc programming language by Y Combinator's co-founder Paul Graham, it has increasingly been getting more and more attention over the years. Probably won't disappear anytime soon without significant notice.
- Dump of Hacker News stories and comments up to 2014-05-29 (compressed JSON files), made through one of HN's official API. Total: ~10.7GB uncompressed. More info from the maker of the dump[IA•Wcite•.today•MemWeb].
- A more recent dump is described here: https://github.com/fhoffa/notebooks/blob/master/analyzing%20hacker%20news.ipynb[IA•Wcite•.today•MemWeb]
- Some comments and threads are also available on archive.is, including some that were lost during a system crash[IA•Wcite•.today•MemWeb].
- Official API docs available at https://github.com/HackerNews/API[IA•Wcite•.today•MemWeb]
- Older API at https://hn.algolia.com/api[IA•Wcite•.today•MemWeb]
- "The site has a proactive attitude in moderating content, including automated flame and spam detectors." Comments made by hellbanned users are not viewable by other users, unless they have checked the "showdead" option in their profile.
- Threads and comments are accessible via the same URL: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=ID
- The Evolution Of Hacker News[IA•Wcite•.today•MemWeb]
- Arc Source Code[IA•Wcite•.today•MemWeb] (includes basic Hacker News setup)