Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 04:44, 26 February 2023 by Wickedplayer494 (talk | contribs) (Now Meta's been made to get rid of it by the British)
|Archiving status||Not saved yet|
|IRC channel||#archiveteam-bs (on hackint)|
Giphy is a GIF sharing site. It was acquired by Facebook (now Meta) in May 2020. Apparently, it was to have been assimilated into Instagram.
In October 2022, the UK's Competition and Markets Authority ruled that Meta must divest itself of Giphy, which Meta has agreed to do after a lengthy battle in which the CMA initally ruled it must do so in November 2021, and a failed attempt to appeal its decision in June 2022. As of late February 2023, Giphy has yet to be sold or spun off.
- ↑ https://news.knowyourmeme.com/news/facebook-to-buy-giphy
- ↑ https://reclaimthenet.org/facebook-giphy-sale-privacy/
- ↑ https://about.fb.com/news/2020/05/welcome-giphy/
- ↑ https://medium.com/@giphy/giphy-to-join-facebook-as-part-of-the-instagram-team-e7ea8d32d7b6
- ↑ https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/18/facebook-parent-meta-ordered-to-sell-giphy-by-uk-competition-regulator.html