Difference between revisions of "Fileplanet"
|Line 97:||Line 97:|
Revision as of 16:40, 10 May 2012
Website host of game content, 1996-2012
|Archiving status||In progress...|
|IRC channel||(on hackint)|
FilePlanet is no longer hosting new content, and "is in the process of being archived [by IGN]."
FilePlanet hosts 87,190 download pages of game-related material (demos, patches, mods, promo stuff, etc.), which needs to be archived. These tend to be larger files, ranging from 10MB patches to 3GB clients. We'll want all the arms we can for this one, since it gets harder the farther the archiving goes (files are numbered chronologically, and Skyrim mods are bigger than Doom ones).
What We Need
- Files! (approx. 15% done 5/10/12)
- /fileinfo/ pages - get URLs from sitemaps (Schbirid is downloading these)
- A list of all "site:www.fileplanet.com inurl:hosteddl" URLs since these files seem not to be in the simple ID range
How to help
- Have bash, wget, grep, rev, cut
- >30 gigabytes of space per 5k increment
- Put https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/fileplanet-file-download/blob/master/download_pages_and_files_from_fileplanet.sh somewhere and "chmod +x" it
- Pick a free 5k increment (eg 110000-114999) and tell people about it (#fireplanet in EFnet or post it here)
- Create a new working directory for your download, named after your chunk. Eg 110000-114999/
- INSIDE that directory, run the script with your start and end IDs as arguments. Eg "
./download_pages_and_files_from_fileplanet.sh 110000 114999"
- Take a walk for half a day.
- Once you are done with your chunk, you will have pages_xx000-xx999.log and files_xx000-xx999.log plus the www.fileplanet.com/ directory.
- Do a "
grep -i error *.log" first and see if there were error messages. If so, tell us.
cd .." and "
tar -cf 110000-114999.tar 110000-114999/"
du -hs 110000-114999/www.fileplanet.com/" and "
ls -1 110000-114999/www.fileplanet.com/ | wc -l" and add those numbers to the table below.
- Done! GOTO 10
In the end we'll upload all the parts to archive.org. If you have an account, you can use eg s3cmd.
s3cmd --add-header x-archive-auto-make-bucket:1 --add-header "x-archive-meta-description:Files from Fileplanet (www.fileplanet.com), all files from the ID range 110000 to 114999." put 110000-114999.tar s3://FileplanetFiles_110000-114999
s3cmd put 110000-114999/*.log s3://FileplanetFiles_110000-114999/
Mind the trailing slash.
|Range||Status||Number of files||Size in gigabytes||Downloader|
|55000-59999||Done, archived (bad URL)||2390||24G||Schbirid|