HISTORY IS OUR FUTURE
And we've been trashing our history
Archive Team is a loose collective of rogue archivists, programmers, writers and loudmouths dedicated to saving our digital heritage. Since 2009 this variant force of nature has caught wind of shutdowns, shutoffs, mergers, and plain old deletions - and done our best to save the history before it's lost forever. Along the way, we've gotten attention, resistance, press and discussion, but most importantly, we've gotten the message out: IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY.
This website is intended to be an offloading point and information depot for a number of archiving projects, all related to saving websites or data that is in danger of being lost. Besides serving as a hub for team-based pulling down and mirroring of data, this site will provide advice on managing your own data and rescuing it from the brink of destruction.
Currently Active Projects (Get Involved Here!)
Archive Team recruiting
- Afghanistan: Archiving the Afghan web due to recent events. IRC Channel #afghansites (on hackint).
- XTube: The shutdown on 5 September 2021 will surely leave a gaping hole in the web. IRC Channel #nevermind (on hackint).
- Google Drive: Google will break millions of shared Drive links on 13 September 2021. IRC Channel #googlecrash (on hackint).
- Classic Google Sites: Making more sites inaccessible to the public starting September 1, 2021. IRC Channel #nearlylostmygoogles (on hackint).
- Periscope: Another Twitter acquisition, another shutdown. This time, its live-streamer gets to join Vine in the bin at the end of March. IRC Channel #microscope (on hackint).
- Webs: Vistaprint is killing off the Freewebs you knew from the 2000s on
March 31 June 30, 2021, unless you pay up. IRC Channel #webbed (on hackint).
- GitHub: Embraced-uh, I mean, bought by Microsoft. IRC Channel #gitgud (on hackint).
- MediaFire: Not 'at-risk' but grabbing speculatively to save historic files IRC Channel #mediaonfire (on hackint).
- Reddit: Banning communities that generate bad PR for Reddit Inc. Currently grabbing new material. IRC Channel #shreddit (on hackint).
- URLs: A random collection of stuff. IRC Channel #// (on hackint).
- URLTeam: URL shorteners were a fucking awful idea. IRC Channel #urlteam (on hackint).
An updated Warrior virtual appliance (v3.2) is now available with better support for newer projects that utilize wget-at. Please download it using the link above.
- 2019-2021 coronavirus outbreak: Documenting and preserving data, events, and impacts of the virus on society. IRC Channel #coronarchive (on hackint)
- ArchiveBot: For those with lots of disk space, bandwidth and long-term commitment. IRC Channel #archivebot (on hackint).
- WikiTeam: Saving wikis dumps (XML). And their external links for the Wayback Machine (WARC) as well as exporting MediaWiki databases. Permanent effort, everyone can help (you choose the size of your downloads). IRC Channel #wikiteam (on hackint).
Upcoming & proposed projects
Recently finished projects
- CodePlex: Microsoft's self-archive will be permanently removed from its Recycle Bin after July 1, 2021. IRC Channel #plexicode (on hackint).
- Google Poly: A 3D art repository that Google will send to the trash compactors on June 30, 2021. New uploads cease April 30. IRC Channel #polygone (on hackint).
- Bintray: JFrog is dismantling the software distribution platform used by numerous projects in May. IRC Channel #binnedtray (on hackint).
Hiatus / Missed the Mark
ArchiveTeam primarily uses the hackint IRC network – ircs://irc.hackint.org:6697 (TLS required) – webchat: https://webirc.hackint.org/ – More info
ArchiveTeam also has some channels left on the EFnet IRC network – irc://irc.efnet.org – webchat: http://chat.efnet.org:9090 – More info
What is What
- Deathwatch is where we keep track of sites that are sickly, dying or dead.
- Fire Drill is where we keep track of sites that seem fine but a lot depends on them.
- Projects is a comprehensive list of AT endeavors.
- Philosophy describes the ideas underpinning our work.
Some Starting Points
- Software will assist you in regaining control of your data by providing tools for information backup, archiving and distribution.
- Formats will familiarize you with the various data formats, and how to ensure your files will be readable in the future.
- Storage Media is about where to get it, what to get, and how to use it.
Quote of the Moment
"[Yahoo!] found the way to destroy
the most massive amount of history
in the shortest amount of time
with absolutely no recourse"
Internet Atrocity! GeoCities' Demise Erases Web History
By Dan Fletcher, TIME Magazine, Monday, Nov. 09, 2009
In The Media
- Kaitlyn Tiffany, The Atlantic, 2021-04-25
- Adam Smith, The Independent, 2021-04-13
- Dhruv Mehrotra and Shoshana Wodinsky, Gizmodo, 2021-04-09
- Katie Notopoulos, BuzzFeed News, 2021-04-05
- Leland Nally, VICE, 2021-01-12
- Rea McNamara, Hyperallergic, 2020-12-18
- Samantha Cole and Jason Koebler, VICE, 2020-06-09
- Katie Notopoulos, Buzzfeed News, 2019-12-28
- Hannah Knowles, Washington Post, 2019-12-11
- Daniel AJ Sokolov, heise online, 2019-12-11